Apple announced during the WWDC 2017 the capability to enroll devices purchased from all kinds of channels into Device Enrollment Program (DEP). In the past, schools and companies were only able to enroll in DEP if they bought their Apple devices directly from Apple, a participating Apple Authorized Reseller, or a cellular carrier.
With the release of the new version of Apple Configurator 2 in September, Apple made it possible to enroll any device in DEP – no matter where the iPads or iPhones were purchased.
This decision will positively impact many educational institutions, schools, and districts that have donated devices. Read on to learn about the new enrollment method in this particular case and how to add the donated Apple devices to DEP.
The new enrollment method differs in two ways:
In this new enrollment method, when you add a device to DEP, it erases the device. The 30-day provisional period starts immediately after the device is activated. During the provisional period, the lock screen and setup assistant indicate the device is provisionally enrolled. The user can remove the device from DEP and setup assistant or settings, which also erases the device.
After the 30 days expire, the lock screen message disappears, and the user can no longer remove the device from DEP.
Thus, it’s important to reinforce to students and their families – as well as teachers who will receive those Apple devices – the importance of maintaining the device in DEP.
Both during and after the provisional period, all DEP features are available – including streamline setup and mandatory MDM enrollment.
In this enrollment method, the device is always supervised, and MDM management is always mandatory. With each new release of iOS, there are new panes in the setup assistant. As DEP configuration allows you to skip these panes, there are new skip keys.
Important note: Only devices updated to iOS 11 can be enrolled in DEP using Apple Configurator 2 (2.5 version).
First you need to create an Apple Configurator 2 profile within Mosyle Manager. Then, follow the step-by-step below:
1. On your Mac, open the Apple Configurator 2 app (make sure the application is updated to 2.5 version) and plug your device(s) into the Mac. Remember, the devices should be updated to iOS 11. Select the device(s) and click Prepare from the menu along the top.
2. Choose Manual Configuration, and select the Add to Device Enrollment Program and “Activate and Complete Enrollment” options. In this enrollment method, Supervision is mandatory.
We recommend you also disable the option to Allow devices to pair with other computer. When this is checked, after the device is prepared and enrolled using AC2, users will not be able to connect the device to any other computer – aside from the one currently being used to prepare the devices. When finished, click Next.
If you want to enroll the devices as Apple Shared iPads, also select this option. After configuring those settings, click Next. On the next screen, you'll choose to enroll in a New Server and click Next.
3. The next prompt will ask you to Define an MDM Server. Here, you'll name the MDM server (feel free to use something easy to identify such as Mosyle MDM, or you can use the same name you used when creating the AC2 profile in Mosyle). Then, copy/paste the Enrollment URL from Mosyle Manager into the Hostname or URL field in AC2. Click Next.
4. The next screen will show the trust anchor certificates associated with Mosyle Manager MDM. Click Next. Following this prompt, you'll see the option to Supervise devices. If your devices are school-owned, we recommend you select to Supervise.
5. Enter your DEP Credentials (Apple ID and password). Click Next.
6. Choose to Generate a new supervision identity and click Next.
7. Select the Setup Assistant steps you can skip after the device restarts. Using the dropdown menu, choose if you want to “Show all steps,” “Show only some steps,” or “Do not show any steps.” We suggest it shows “Location Services.”
8. In the next screen, choose the Network Profile. Within the Mosyle Manager, you are able to download the Wi-Fi payload after creating the profile. Navigate to Management > WiFi Authentication, and download the file to upload in Apple Configurator.
9. When finished, click Prepare.
After the devices are prepared using Apple Configurator 2, open your Apple School Manager account and assign the devices to the MDM server. You can learn more about this process in the section about Setting up the ASM Account. Open your free account and have access to our Getting Started!
Save countless hours of IT effort while empowering teachers to manage iPad, Mac, and Apple TV devices in the classroom
2018 Mosyle™ Corporation | Trusted by 7,100+ educational institutions across the globe