Enroll iPad and iPhone devices with Automated Device Enrollment
Enrolling iPad and iPhone devices using the Automated Device Enrollment method with Mosyle Manager is the easiest way to deploy a large amount of devices, by taking all the advantages of the zero-touch deployment at your K-12 School.
In this section, you will learn how to deploy iPad and iPhone devices that are associated with your Apple School Manager account.
- Navigate to "My School", click "Enrollment", and select “Automated Device Enrollment”.
- To create the Automated Device Enrollment profile, click "New profile” and name the profile.
- Next, choose the configurations you want to activate on the devices. The Automated Device Enrollment will provide the following options selected by default:
Allow iPad devices to connect to a Mac. For iOS/iPadOS 13 and later, this option is deprecated. It is recommended to use the option "Do not allow host pairing" in the Restriction profile.
Install MDM Profile. This configuration is mandatory when using this enrollment method.
Supervise the devices. This configuration is mandatory when using this enrollment method.
Do not allow manual removal of the MDM
- You can also choose if the devices will be Multi-user (Apple Shared iPad).
- This option is available only for devices in Apple School Manager account and students will be using Managed Apple IDs to login to the iPad devices.
- You can also check the option to Allow User-Initiated Activation Lock.
- Enabling this option will allow the device to be locked in the Activation Lock screen with the user’s Apple ID if “Find my iPad/iPhone” is enabled by the user and the device is wiped. By default, supervised devices are not locked with User-Initiated Activation Lock. If needed, you can unlock a device locked in Activation Lock via the Device Info in Mosyle.
- Next, you can upload the Supervision Identity file created with Apple Configurator 2, that will allow device pairing only for authorized computers.
- Select the model of the deployment: Limbo, 1:1 users or Shared Groups.
- Make sure to check the “Return devices to assignment model selected above after wipe” option.
- By default, after a device is wiped it will maintain the previous assignment. For example: if a device was enrolled and assigned as a 1:1 device to a student, after it is wiped, it will re-enroll and maintain the assignment to the student rather than using the assignment of the Device Enrollment Profile. By checking this option, if the device is wiped it will re-enroll in "Limbo" status, respecting the Device Enrollment Profile configuration.
- Next, configure the Customize Setup Assistant. This capability is available only for iOS 13+. Set a customized screen during the Setup Assistant, adding an organization-based content and modern user authentication method. To do this, click “Manage Screens”
- Here you will be able to personalize the screens, by changing the font and color. It’s possible to add different steps to the Setup Assistant, including Welcome Screen, Set Enrollment Passcode, End User License Agreement Screen (EULA), Add to a Shared Group, Mosyle User Authentication and Single Sign-On Authentication. Use the “+ Add Screen” button to add the necessary steps to rearrange the order by using the drag and drop feature. When you are done, click the check icon at the top right of the window.
- In the sequence, finish the procedure by selecting the devices that will receive the configurations. You can also check the option to make the Automated Device Enrollment profile a default profile and automatically assign it to all new devices and current devices without a profile assigned.
- To finish, select all the options you want to skip on the Setup Assistant when the end-user starts the iPad/iPhone for the first time.
- Make sure to configure the variables if you want to rename the devices after the enrolment. You can choose variables such as school name, student's name, etc.
In order to complete the Automated Device Enrollment process and install the MDM configuration profile, the device must go through the initial setup. If the iPad devices and/or iPhones are brand new, simply take the device out of the box and turn it on. If your devices have previously been used, you'll need to wipe and restart them in order for the new Automated Device Enrollment configuration profile to be applied.
To wipe the device, go to the “Settings” application on the device, click “General”, select “Reset” and “Erase all content settings”. If you are using currently another device management solution, you are able to send a command to remove the configuration profile and wipe the devices remotely. You can check other tips on how to migrate from another MDM provider in our guide.
After saving the management profile, you can click on “View Devices” from the Apple School Manager accounts list to check out all the Apple devices enrolled in this particular ASM account. Devices will be color-coded based on the configuration profile status: No profile associated, Profile associated and Profile installed.
Specific Configurations for Apple Shared iPad devices
Shared iPad devices
Shared iPad carts provide an easy way to organize groups of multi-user iPad devices. There are two different ways to enroll iPad devices as shared devices in Mosyle Manager: Apple Shared iPad or Mosyle Shared. Apple Shared iPad mode requires that iPad devices are enrolled in your Apple School Manager account and meet specific hardware requirements. You can find more information regarding requirements below:
Features and requirements for Shared iPad devices:
How to create the Shared Carts within Mosyle Manager
Before you get started configuring the Automated Device Enrollment profile, we recommend that you create the Shared Carts within Mosyle Manager to streamline your deployment workflow.
- First, click "My School" from the bottom menu and select "Shared Carts" from the menu on the left.
- Click “+ Create new cart” and name the cart based on where or how it is used (for example, Building 12 Cart or 1st Grade Cart) and select if you want location information to be requested periodically.
- Since the devices are in Apple School Manager, be sure to check the box for "Apple Shared iPad" and configure the additional options as needed. If your devices are not eligible for Apple Shared iPad devices, make sure to navigate to the section about Apple Configurator 2 in order to check how to enroll Mosyle Shared iPad devices.
- Choose the location(s) to which the cart belongs.
- If you have not yet enrolled any devices, just click "Save".
Important note: Only devices associated with your school's Apple School Manager account will be capable of enrolling as an Apple Shared iPad. Check if your donated iPad devices are eligible for Apple School Manager and enroll them to the account.
Turn on each iPad (if new and never been turned on) or restore it (if used). When restoring, be sure to select the option "Erase all content and settings".
In the case of Apple Shared iPad devices, users will be prompted to log in with a Managed Apple ID once the iPad devices restart, using their temporary password generated by Apple School Manager. Once users log in with their temporary password, they will be required to create a new 4-, 6- or 8-digit passcode (depending on the passcode policy established in Apple School Manager).